Orange and White Chocolate Cake
For the cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 250g (9ox) golden caster sugar
- 150g (6oz) each of self-raising flour and ground almonds
- Grated Zest of 2 oranges
For the syrup
- 100g (3.5oz) golden granulated sugar
- 225ml (8fl oz) sweet white wine
- Juice of 3 oranges
For the white chocolate ganache
- 225g (8oz) white chocolate, chopped
- 568ml carton double cream
- 350g (12oz) strawberries, thinly sliced
- Grease a deep 23cm (9in) round cake tin. Line base with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan oven) mark 4.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in 50g (2oz) sugar. Whisk until the mixture stands in stiff peaks and looks glossy.
- Put the egg yolks and remaining sugar in another bowl. Whisk until soft and moussey. Carefully stir in the flour to make a paste.
- Using a clean, metal spoon, add a third of the egg white to the paste and fold in carefully. Put the remaining egg white, ground almonds and orange zest in the bowl and fold in, taking care not to knock too much volume out of the egg whites. You should end up with a smooth batter.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for 35min or until a skewer run through the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10min, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Put the syrup ingredients in a small pan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and bubble for 5min or until syrupy. Cool and set aside.
- To make the ganache, put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl with half the cream. Set over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water, leave until the chocolate is melted, then stir. (Don't stir the chocolate until it has completely melted.) Cool until beginning to thicken, then beat with a wooden spoon until cold and thick. Put the remaining double cream into a bowl and whip lightly. Beat a large spoon of the whipped cream into the chocolate cream to loosen it, then fold in the remainder. Cover and chill for 2hr.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally, pierce all over with a skewer and put it, cut sides up, on an edged tray or baking sheet. Spoon over the syrup and leave to soak in.
- Spread a quarter of the ganache over the base cake and scatter with 225g (8oz) strawberries. Cover with the top half of the cake and press down lightly. Using a palette knife, smooth remaining ganache over the top and sides of the cake. Cover loosely and chill for up to 4hr. Decorate with remaining strawberries and serve.