Thursday 14 August 2014

Vanilla JavaScript Dynamic SVG Geo Map (UK region population)

I love the articles on sitepoint and this one on creating Dynamic geo-maps using SVG and jQuery looked lovely and it has been on my to-read list for a while now... pretty much since it was written.

But I've recently started looking at the need for jQuery. Don't get me wrong - I love jQuery, but with modern browsers it's needed less and less. So I decided to use Inkscape instead of Illustrator (because one is free and the other really isn't), and vanilla JavaScript rather than jQuery. As an exercise it was fun and reminded me of the time when I was first starting out and reading about DOM manipulation.

The result is up on my site http://drmsite.co.uk/geo-map/.

The source image is from Wikimedia - an the population numbers are from Wikipedia (think they're from the 2011 Census).

No comments:

Post a Comment